What is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is simply an extract of milk. Milk Proteins are generally divided into two classes: Casein Protein and Whey protein. Whey Protein is a fast-absorbing high-quality first-class protein option.
Whey protein powder can be consumed in water, milk, or cream. It is a safe protein source alternative.
Whey protein is beneficial to those who engage in physical activity. It is also a reliable alternate for first-class protein, especially for vegetarians.
There are plenty of whey protein brands to choose from. A scoop of whey can provide 25 grams of protein. Protein is a macro-nutrient essential for the development and growth of the body.
Why Should You Consume Way? (Science Backed Benefits)
- Reduces Appetite and Hunger Levels
- Increases Muscle Mass and Strength
- Transports Nutrients Like Iron and Fatty Acids to the body
- Improves Your Bone and Muscle Structure
- Reduces Cravings
- Boosts Metabolism and Increases Fat Burning.
- Lowers Your Blood Pressure.
- Helps Maintain Weight Loss
- Boosts the Immune System
Consumption of whey protein is convenient for those living fast-paced lives. Whey protein is easy to prepare. It also delivers nutrients quickly to the body due to its fast-absorbing property. Many whey protein brands also provide recipe manuals.
How to Choose The Right Whey Protein?
Whey protein powders are available in three forms. It is based on the method used to process whey in a liquid form. These are:
Whey Protein Concentrate
Whey Protein Concentrate is the first kind of whey protein derived by an ultrafiltration process. Depending on the extent of filtration, a high-quality Whey Protein Concentrate can have protein percentages ranging from 34%-80%.
Whey Protein Concentrates have a low-fat content. The lactose content in them is still higher than other forms of whey.
Whey Protein Isolate
Whey Protein Isolates are considered the purest form of protein. They have the highest percentage of protein content, close to 90%. The high protein content means lower amounts of lactose, fat, and ash minerals.
As a result, Whey Protein Isolates are also absorbed faster in comparison to Whey Protein Concentrates.
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein
Whey Protein Isolates when undergoing hydrolysis result in Hydrolyzed Whey Protein. Hydrolysis involves the breaking of long amino acid chains into smaller chains (usually di and tripeptides).
Each of the whey proteins has its own distinct advantage, which is desirable for any fitness enthusiast and a hard-training athlete. Whey blends offer this unique benefit by combining the advantages of different whey proteins.
Whey protein concentrate is an inferior source of whey protein. Hence, whey isolate would be a better choice.
Hydrolyzed whey should be chosen only if training at a high intensity as they deliver nutrients at the fastest rate for the repair of muscle tissues.
Whey blends are not an ideal choice of whey protein as they have a low profile of proteins.
Top 5 Whey Protein Brands in India
ON is a popular choice for whey protein. It is available in many flavors and types. ON is the most basic whey protein available in the market. ON whey protein can also be found on pharmacy store shelves.
Ideal to consume on a low-carb lifestyle but appropriate for all individuals. Proquest Advanced Whey Protein consists of all essential nutrients. It has Zero-Carbs with a blend of MCTs and Coconut Oil. It supports varied Low Carb, High Fat diet protocols, from ketogenic to paleo diets.
Ultimate Nutrition 100% Whey is a very versatile protein powder — the macro split is useful, particularly for the low price. It’s a possible “any time” shake. Ultimate Nutrition contains high protein and BCAA content, fewer carbs, and significantly low sugar.
It’s all about getting more quality protein per serving. Rule 1’s protein ratio of 87% is so pleasing to the palate of muscle-building enthusiasts.
The R1 Whey Protein is a delicious protein powder. The chocolate and cookies, and cream flavors are popular choices. R1 whey protein brands are one of the better tasting blends.
NitroTech is a solid protein powder. It has the right blend of whey isolate, amino acids, Creatine, and digestive enzymes. It is an excellent option for those who want a convenient “all-in-one” protein powder. It is one of the popular whey protein brands in India.
It is available in many flavors; cookies and cream are the most popular choice.
Interesting Whey Protein Facts
- Whey helps in muscle repair and is highly anabolic. It rapidly enters the bloodstream and reaches muscles faster than other protein sources. It supports faster muscle tissue growth.
- It also helps in increasing immunity.
- In human milk, 60% of the protein is whey, and 40% is casein. Therefore, it is as natural and beneficial. Whey isn’t something new for the body to digest.
- Whey has the highest protein quality rating due to its complete amino acid profile and high digestibility.
- Whey protein provides the wealthiest sources of BCAAS – Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine available from any natural food protein source. BCAAs are used for energy during exercise. A greater BCAA intake helps preserve muscle.
- It also increases the concentration of glutathione in the body. This is essential for the immune system’s proper functioning.
- Whey protein also contains many growth factors such as the Insulin-like growth factor (IGF- I) that support muscle growth. It is rich in amino acids such as arginine and lysine, stimulating growth hormone, and support muscle gain and fat loss.
Sometimes, it isn’t easy to complete your protein requirements through food sources alone.
Often, people don’t find time to prepare protein-rich meals.Hence, the need for supplementation arises. Whey protein doesn’t have any side effects, so don’t be shy to invest in them!